Rats on Coffee

Monday, April 24, 2006

I'm waiting for the vet to call. We just dropped off Elvis's urine sample which should determine if he is urinating all over our house because of an infection or because he is a big, dominant, territorial pisser. I hope that he has a mild infection that we can clear up very easily with a few meds and that when he's all better he'll be just a joy to have in the house. Wishful thinking.
Steve and I are finding it very difficult to bond with this guy. He has come out of his shell quite a bit, there's no doubt there. He even greeted our friends A and K at the door with an exuberant tail waggle. But he isn't a nuzzler like Molly. He doesn't flop over for a cuddle and a rub as soon as we crouch down to pat him. I don't know. He's distant. Just observes us a lot. He likes to be in the same room, but if we sit next to him, he gets up after a few seconds and walks away to sit somewhere else and just watch what we're up to. Sometimes he sticks his bum up for a big bum scratching, but...I feel like we are definitely putting way more into this relationship than we are getting out. How long do we wait for Elvis to come around, and what do we do if he never does? What if we are only dog-walkers and food dispensers to him for the rest of his life? That's 10 tough years. And what if he is just infection after infection? Each week we find out something else that this guy is infested with. When does it end?
And then...to top it all off, I read today that Plott hounds are extremely agressive when it comes to other dogs and don't ever leave a Plott and another dog alone together because they fight to the death, even over something like a food bowl. WHAT?!? Before adopting the Plott I read that Plotts were bred to get along with other dogs because they hunt in packs (Plotts are bred to hunt wild boar and bear, if I never mentioned it before). Not to mention that there is nothing about this dog that would make me think he'd fight Molly to the death over anything, but now I'm imagining Elvis suddenly going insane and eating her, then turning 'round and eating us. I had read that they are loyal, eager to please, intelligent, family dogs inside and then courageous, fearless hunters outside, like two different dogs. Shit. What if he gets bored one day and starts hunting indoors?
Obviously I have worked myself up into a frenzy, like I am wont to do. Which means that all the extra running I'm doing with the Plott isn't doing me any good because the stress is making me eat more than I can keep up with. Elvis is all work, no pleasure so far. Training sessions start next Sunday. I'm hoping for miracles. I'm just going to come out and tell the trainer that we're having a hard time bonding and see what he says. He'll probably tell us we're a couple of morons and shouldn't have brought Elvis home in the first place. Ugh. We were prepared to take care of two Molly's, not a Molly and an Elvis. He is testing us. We are struggling to pass.
I don't know, K, M, did it seem like we meant more to him than you guys did when we were visiting? Did you see him looking at us like, "I love those humans" or anything?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that must be hard
I hope the training goes well and with a little time maybe he will feel better.
x

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did he have a hard time with his previous folks maybe? I know when we've had dogs from the shelter they've been a real mixed bag. One in particular, Maverick, was a real challenge. It tooks months for him to settle, and even then he was still territorial to the last. He was a lovely lad, but everything was always on his terms. We just figured, well, he had a bad ride up until now so whatever he likes, goes.....

Best of luck with the king mate..I'm sure he'll come around in time..

:)

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, he did seem more comfy with you guys than us. like you said, it seems like he was not an indoors dog and looks like he was in a scrap or two with the missing nail and scars. he was probably raised to hunt and not to cuddle and was kept outside or in a kennel with no real love. will take time. he may never be a cuddler like molly, but as long as you can stay in charge i say stick with him. look at how poor nog was for so long? scared. and my leonard, (cat) who i still can't touch after 4 years without him totally freaking out and hissing and just trying to get as far from me as possible. (he did sniff my fingertips the other night on the couch but that was with my hand extended and my other hand in a bag of chocolate so he knew i was too busy to try petting him). when you adopt it is a responsibility even if not all pleasure(the dingleberries from longhaired lola and leonard are proof of that!) our family has been very lucky with dogs who are loving even if not always obedient. which reminds me. m and i read a children's picture book 3 times the other night and laughed heartily each time. it is "Good boy, Fergus" by David Shannon. it is new, but i say get to library or bookstore and read it. about a dog with obedience problems.
k

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to say ~ he's not going to eat you ~ no dog with ears that floppy could ever be a threat ;)

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home