Rats on Coffee

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. We haven't decided to give up on the little turd yet - and I am justified in calling him a turd because the vet just called to tell me that he does not have an infection, so it is most likely a "behavioral issue." Pfff! I did get a helicopter tail wag and a bum in the air as a welcome home, though, so that's good. Oh, yes, I also got a dog crate full of pee when I got home. But that's exactly why he was in the crate. It's so funny when that little moron goes in the house. He so obviously never lived with a family inside before, because when I find his pee spot and then start to clean it up, he comes over, sniffs it, looks at me like, "hey, whatcha doing there? Cleaning that up? Never woulda thought.." He's obviously never gotten into trouble for doing it before. The problem is that we never actually catch him in the act, so we don't have an opportunity to tell him "no!" We try to praise him and give him treats when he goes outside, but he turns and looks at us like, "Geeze, guys, I'm just taking a leak. For crying out loud, gimme some peace." I simply don't know what we're going to do with him. Well, yes, I do. We're going to take him for walk, after walk, after walk, after walk, after walk....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took Nog, Vicki & Niobe years to get affectionate. You shouldn't ask too much- just love the animal for who he/she is. Elvis hasn't been with you long enough to have fully absorbed the culture. He's a foreigner. He's never lived in a home before. As for the peeing -?? -I read that dogs who lived outside were easily house trained when brought in to live. He must have lived in a barn
Love, M

7:42 PM  
Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...

sounds like he is used to being outside rather than in. Good luck with that...maybe the peeing is a dominance issue??? I don't know-never had dogs, but my husband trained them so I can ask if you want. ~Poi Mom Jane

8:54 PM  
Blogger Molly and Elvis said...

Thanks, M. Yep, poor Elvis, probably born in a barn.

Thanks Poi Mom Jane. I absolutely believe that the peeing is a dominance issue - he's marking his territory. Only instead of little "marks" he's full-on peeing on stuff. Yay us.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get some of that heavy plastic, like painters and construction workers use and some duct tape and just cover everything! hehehehehe
k

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with him
*hugs*

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home